Intro to Wheel Throwing – Thursdays
Dates: Thursday, April 29–Thursday, June 3 (6 weeks)
Price: $340 (clay, glaze, firing, instruction and 3 hours of drop-in open studio time included). Tools available for purchase at Clay Studio.
Description: Over the course of 6 weeks we will meet in the studio to explore the fundamentals of throwing on the potter’s wheel. From the basics of wedging and centering, to throwing vessels and learning how to glaze them, we will provide you with the tools you need to launch your own ceramic endeavors! Experienced thrower and instructor Ruby Mandell will teach you to focus on both the process and the product while progressing your skills each week.
Students will be encouraged to explore projects to push their newly learned skills with the support of an encouraging teacher. There will be an optional open studio block available for students who want some independent working time to hone their skills.
Drop-In Open Studio Hours: Mondays from 9–12
Instructor: Ruby Mandell
About your instructor: Ruby Mandell graduated with a bachelor’s degree in art from UCSB in 2020 with an emphasis in sculpture and printmaking. While at UCSB, Ruby taught beginners wheel throwing to students and adults. She has been working in ceramics since 2015, with an interest in slip trailing as surface decoration on most of her work. Taking inspiration from oriental rugs, henna designs, tile patterns and her natural surroundings, she creates intricate decorations on the surfaces of her pieces.
COVID Safety: Clay Studio has implemented safety protocols recommended by the Santa Barbara County Department of Public Health, and has been inspected and advised by a local infectious disease expert. Please note the following protocols we have put in place to help limit the spread of COVID-19 in the community:
- Wheel classes are capped at 6 people and one instructor. Instruction will be offered at a distance of 6 feet.
- Staff has undergone safety training and sanitizes the studio multiple times per day.
- Clay Studio will have masks for sale as well as sanitizing gel, soap and a no-touch thermometer available at the studio.
- Staff and class participants required to wear masks at all times, and must sanitize and wash hands frequently.
- All students must read and sign our studio safety guidelines before their first class.
- We are continuing to monitor COVID-19 updates in our community on a daily basis. While we have been advised by the Santa Barbara County Department of Public Health that we are permitted to open our doors at a limited capacity, we understand that the situation may change.