Clay Studio is thrilled to offer Clay Art Enrichment Classes starting in 2022!
Clay is the perfect artistic vehicle for children to explore the elements and foundations of art and design. These elements include color, line, shape, form, texture, space, and value.
Highly trained art instructors with years of teaching children within the Santa Barbara community will share their insight and knowledge around art, design, and the importance of environmental respect. A multifaceted curriculum allows children to engage in hands-on art projects in an outdoor setting, with the opportunity to learn more about the studio and it’s offerings.
Bethany is an art teacher, outdoor educator, and ceramicist. She has been practicing hand-building with clay for over 20 years, beginning in her grandmother’s studio. Bethany encourages self-direction when it comes to children’s creativity and has found that clay is a wonderful medium to do so. Bethany studied her bachelors degree in environmental science from Georgia College, and draws much of her inspiration for her teachings from nature. When she is not working with clay, she loves to listen to music, explore outdoors, and paint.
Suzanne McKenzie Hawtrey has taught art lessons to children and adults in Santa Barbara for over 20 years. She has offered instruction in both private and public educational settings. Her lessons are foundational as she imparts the elements and principles of art and design. While promoting the importance of basic fine art instruction Suzanne encourages enjoyment and fun in her lessons.
Children are able to take away art concepts that are life-long and enduring. Suzanne encourages the building of artistic creations and lasting friendships. Suzanne has completed many commissioned works including murals, renderings, and hand-painted ceramics. Shows and exhibits include: Los Angeles Pottery Show, Santa Barbara Cabrillo Beach Show, Santa Barbara Ceramic Design, Art Walk Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Inspiration Gallery Santa Barbara and Women’s Economic Ventures (WEV).
Winter 2022 Clay Art Enrichment Program Details
- Registration begins November 16th, 2021
- Families must register for their session in advance of coming to the studio. The deadline for registration is January 3rd, 2022.
- Winter cohorts are capped at 24 students total.
- Two classes are available:
- Mondays: January 10th – February 14th, 3:30-5:30 PM
- Wednesdays: January 12th – February 16th, 3:30-5:30 PM
- Classes are suitable for ages 7-12.
- Clay and glaze will be provided. Families may purchase a children’s toolkit at the studio.
Clay Studio Safety Protocols
Clay Studio has implemented safety protocols recommended by the Santa Barbara County Department of Public Health, and has been inspected and advised by a local infectious disease expert. Please note the following protocols we have put in place to help limit the spread of COVID-19 in the community:
- All children and teachers required to wear masks, regardless of vaccination status.
- All Clay Studio staff, members, and visitors are required to wear masks indoors and must sanitize and wash hands frequently.
- Art Enrichment teachers have undergone safety and emergency training.
- Clay Studio will have masks available as well as sanitizing gel, soap and a no-touch thermometer available at the studio.
- All families registered will receive COVID and safety guidelines prior to the first day of their session, which they will read and sign.
- We are continuing to monitor COVID-19 updates in our community on a daily basis. While we have been advised by the Santa Barbara County Department of Public Health that we are permitted to open our doors, we understand that the situation may change.